While some people with Alzheimer’s disease may initiate their own diagnosis and care, for most it will be up to another family member to alert the physician. Here are some tips that will help you get someone to the physician for an initial evaluation:
- Schedule the appointment for the person.
- Help with transportation to the appointment.
- Read this article as a family to gain a better understanding of what to expect during the diagnostic process.
- Accompany the person during the testing process, so that you can give the physicians’ your viewpoint on why you suspect Alzheimer’s disease.
- On the day of the appointment, bring along items such as glasses, hearing aids, devices that help the person walk, a list of medications the person is taking, and other personal items that might help during diagnostic testing. Be sure the physician has all medical records, insurance and social security information.